Graduate studies; requires an undergraduate university degree.
The Master’s programme in Computer and Information Science at the University of Konstanz is geared towards the computer-assisted processing of large volumes of data and is designed to provide students interested in the development of complex information and analysis systems with the requisite knowledge. These systems feature a combination of automatic data analysis procedures and interactive visualization. Ensuring that this type of system is both technically feasible and user-friendly requires a thorough grasp of a variety of methods and technologies from different branches of computer science:
- information system development (e.g. databases, software engineering, and networks),
- visualization (e.g. computer graphics and computer vision),
- data analysis (e.g. data mining and visual analytics),
- algorithms (e.g. network science and signal processing) and
- information science (e.g. interaction design and information retrieval).
Auf einen Blick
|Abschluss||Master of Science|
|Studienbeginn||Wintersemester & Sommersemester|
|Regelstudienzeit||2 or 4 Semester|
|Bewerbungszeitraum||25.03. - 15.5./ 15.6. (no visa) | 3.12. - 15.1.|
|ECTS||60 or 120|
Warum Computer and Information Science in Konstanz studieren?
- mentoring programme: As a master’s student, you will choose an academic supervisor (mentor) during your first semester who you can turn to for added focus, discuss your advanced coursework with and who will supervise your master’s project and thesis
- profiles: specialisation in one of the following disciplines within the broad field of applied and practical computer science: Data Mining/Big Data, Digital Libraries, Interactive Systems, Network Science, Systems, Visual Computing, Sports Informatics, Bio Informatics
- high tech: excellent and innovative technical labs, facilities and study conditions, e.g. a powerwall for visualizing large volumes of data, E-david (painting robot), media room
- research-oriented: relevant project work that is integrated in the current research work of our research groups
- career support: Our Career Passport programme is your gateway to the German labor market
Graduates who have successfully completed the Master's Programme in Computer and Information Science pursue careers as
- data scientists and data analysts
- software developers and consultants
- system designers and engineers
- interaction designers and usability engineers
in fields where large volumes of data are processed and visualized, such as
- banking and insurance businesses
- telematics and internet agencies,
- software companies
- movies, simulation and the computer games industry
- market research, management consultations,
- logistics and network management
- medicine and molecular biology
The city of Konstanz is located in the state of Baden-Württemberg not far away from the Bavarian border. Both states are among the strongest and most prosperous business locations in Germany.
Our graduates also benefit from the city’s advantageous geographical location in the international region where the borders of Germany, Switzerland and Austria converge. IT experts are equally in demand in all three countries.
Wintersemester & Sommersemester
We offer our students a two-year master's programme (4 semesters, 120 ECTS):
- for BSc graduates with a three-year bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Engineering or another relevant subject; completed BSc credits: 180 ECTS
- Please click the following link for further information on the study plan (in German).
Weitere Informationen zur Studienstruktur finden Sie in der Studien- und Prüfungsordnung.
Praktika und Auslandsaufenthalt
You are not required to complete an internship as part of your master’s programme. However, the Department supports you with a departmental career service, a placement data pool and several activities that focus on different aspects of employability.
The Department of Computer and Information Science supports student mobility and therefore maintains and establishes new exchange agreements at all degree levels with a variety of partner universities in Europe and overseas. Although a semester abroad is not mandatory, we encourage our master’s students to participate in a study and/or work exchange programme.
Welche Interessen und Fähigkeiten sollte ich mitbringen?
- strong computer science background
- interest in our profiles
- affinity for scientific research
Online self-assessment test Computer and Information Science
If you are thinking about applying for our master’s programme, the study quiz Computer and Information Science will provide you with an excellent opportunity to test whether your academic education to date meets our requirements.
- Native speaker or bachelor’s degree from one of the following countries: USA, UK, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
- Evidence of five years of continuous English classes at German secondary school level up to the Abitur (German equivalent to A-level), minimum grade “befriedigend” or better
- Successful completion of a minimum of four courses taught in English in a previous relevant degree programme or exchange programme (ERASMUS etc.) in the Bologna area
- TOEFL: minimum score: 90 (institution code, name and type: B226 U Konstanz Dept Comp/Info Sci)
- IELTS (academic test): minimum score: 6
- Cambridge First Certificate in English: minimum grade: C
Lehr- und Prüfungssprache
This programme is taught in English.
Zugangsvoraussetzungen zum Studium
- Minimum grade: good or better (German grading system: at least 2.5 or better). For questions about grade conversion, please contact the Division of Student Affairs and Teaching. Grading system at the University of Konstanz
- Academic degree: a three-year degree (minimum) with an above average result (B.Sc./M.Sc./Dipl.) in Computer Science, Information Engineering or a related subject from a recognised higher education institution.
- Required English language skills: min. B2 as defined by the CEFR
- Aptitude test: GRE revised General Test (Institution Code (DI)): 7174. Applicants with a non-Bologna degree MUST PASS the GRE test with a minimum of 155 points in each section (Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning)
- Letter of motivation: information about your academic background and specialization (profile)
- Specific requirements for applicants who wish to apply for the one-year master’s programme: Applicants who wish to apply for the one-year master’s programme must provide a short written statement regarding the research field in the Department of Computer and Information Science that they plan to specialize in. Applicants are requested to name an academic supervisor (mentor) and give detailed information on the profile of the final area of studies.
For details, please see the admission regulations.
Gebühren und Beiträge
Pro Studiensemester an der Universität Konstanz ist von allen Studierenden ein Semesterbeitrag zu zahlen, der in ähnlicher Höhe von allen Hochschulen in Deutschland erhoben wird. Hier erfahren Sie, wie hoch der aktuelle Semesterbeitrag ist und aus welchen Kosten er sich zusammensetzt.
Tuition fees for first degree studies for some international students
Starting in the winter semester 2017/18, the state of Baden-Württemberg will require some international students to pay university tuition fees for their first degree studies. You will not be required to pay tuition fees if you are an EU (European Union) or EEA (European Economic Area) national, a doctoral student or a so-called “Bildungsinländer” (international student with German Abitur). You can find more detailed information here.
Tuition fees for second degree studies for all students
All students will be required to pay tuition fees for their second degree studies starting in the winter semester 2017/18. You can find more detailed information here.
Die Universität Konstanz befreit jährlich eine begrenzte Anzahl von besonders begabten internationalen Studierenden mit Abschlussziel bei uns, nach Maßgabe der Regelungen in der Begabtenbefreiuungssatzung der Universität. Ausführliche Informationen finden Sie hier.
Bewerbung und Bewerbungsunterlagen
Admission to the Master's Programme in Computer and Information Science is not restricted. You can begin the study programme in the winter and summer semesters.
Eine Bewerbung für den Studiengang ist innerhalb dieser Frist(en) möglich: 25.03. - 15.5./ 15.6. (no visa) (Wintersemester) und 3.12. - 15.1. (Sommersemester). Bei Bewerbungen auf ein höheres Fachsemester (im Falle eines Fach- oder Hochschulwechsels) gelten gegebenenfalls andere Fristen. Bitte informieren Sie sich darüber auf der Webseite der Universität.
Please attach the following documents to your application:
- application form
- officially certified copy of your bachelor's degree certificate with an official translation into German or English, if applicable
- officially certified copy of your transcript of records for each year/semester of study, showing subjects taken, ECTS credits and grades obtained, with an official translation into German or English, if applicable
- students in their final year of study: an officially certified copy of your transcript of records to date, showing subjects taken and grades obtained, with an official translation into German or English, if applicable
- if applicable: admission examination (see: § 4 admission regulations)
- documentation of English language skills (Level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF), i.e. TOEFL (minimum score 90 points, internet-based, institution code, name and type: B226 U Konstanz Dept Comp/Info Sci), IELTS (minimum overall band: 6.0), or Cambridge First Certificate in English (minimum grade C); German applicants: five years of English lessons in German secondary education or at least four courses taught in English in a previous study programme at a university in the Bologna region
- table of equivalence
- personal statement questionnaire
- Applicants with a non-Bologna degree: GRE Test Score (official score sheet)
- statement written by yourself outlining your suitability and motivation for the programme
- full curriculum vitae
- applicants from China: APS certificate (original) issued by the German Embassy in Beijing
- applicants from Mongolia: APS certificate (original) issued by the German Embassy in Ulan Bator
- applicants from Vietnam: APS certificate (original) issued by the German Embassy in Hanoi