How can I apply?
- In order to complete an exchange program at the University of Konstanz, you must be nominated by your home university. Ask your International Office what possibilities there are to come to Konstanz and note the respective application deadline.
- As soon as you have been successfully nominated, you will receive a welcome email with the most important information as well as a link to the online registration.
During your online application you can secure your place in the student residences and register for the orientation programmes at the same time!
- Once you have entered your data, you will have to upload further documents to the system. Please complete the online registration by:
15 May for the winter semester (October-February)
15 November for the summer semester (April-July)
- After the complete online application we will start the processing. You will usually receive your admissions in June/July (for the winter semester) or in January/February (for the summer semester).
Language requirements and certificates
Exchange students must have at least the language level B2 (European Framework of Reference) in German OR English.
Accepted language certificates are e.g:
- An official confirmation of your language lecturer at your home university with letterhead, original signature and stamp
- An official Certificate of German: Minimum level B2 (Goethe-Institut)
- TELC certificate: Minimum level B2
- Cambridge English: minimum 160 points, from Cambridge First Certificate
- IELTS: at least 5.5 points
- Duolingo English Test: at least 100 points
- TOEFL (IBT): at least 72 points
- TOEFL (ITP): at least 543 points
- TOEIC: at least 785 points in reading and listening comprehension
Students who speak German or English as their mother tongue or who study exclusively (not in individual courses) in English in their home country do not have to submit a language certificate.
Seezeit student services is the largest provider of student accommodation in Konstanz. The rooms are usually in single or double occupancy apartments as well as in shared flats (WGs = Wohngemeinschaft). Every student, however, receives their own personal room. The WGs are usually shared by male and female students. Due to the extremely high demand, the rooms are assigned by lottery. The application for the dormitory room is part of the application for an exchange place at the University of Konstanz and is completed together.
Remember to transfer the deposit of 800€ to Seezeit. Only then can your application for a dormitory be considered.
As an exchange student, please do NOT apply for a place in a dormitory individually and separately over Seezeit. The one-time registration during your application is sufficient.
Payment of the GO-Konstanz Fee
We highly recommend that you register for GO-Konstanz already during your online application.
You will then receive a registration confirmation and payment information together with your notification of admission.
We kindly ask you to transfer the participation fee and, if applicable, the bank transfer fees by 15th January or 15th July to the indicated account of the University of Konstanz for a binding reservation.
You can transfer the course fee directly together with the social contribution fee (109 Euro).
Incoming Student Guide
All information for International Exchange Students and Free Movers can be found in our Incoming Student Guide.
For your convenience, we have also collected some English instructed courses within the different departments in the guide.