Health insurance

In order to enrol at the University of Konstanz, all students (international and German) must have health insurance. There are several options:

- statutory German health insurance, or
- private German health insurance if you are older than 30 years, or
- the European health insurance card / EHIC (including the E 106 form)

Students from EU/EEA countries / Switzerland

Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland hand in a copy of both sides of their valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when enrolling. Please apply for this card in time before leaving for Germany and make sure it is valid for your entire period of time abroad.
Alternatively you can also take out a German statutory health insurance policy instead (observe non-EU/EEA).

Students not from EU/EEA countries / Switzerland

Visiting students (exchange students and free movers) and full-time students
international students from non-EU / EEA countries
are required to have German health insurance. If you are under 30 years old, you can be insured for about 95 euros per month through a German public health insurance company. In this way, international students are equal to German students: after presenting your insurance card, the doctors automatically charge the treatment costs to the health insurance company.

Please note that international private health insurance policies for students from non-EU / EEA countries are NO LONGER accepted by the foreigners registration office. This is due to the fact that it is not possible to evaluate if the service spectrum of the foreign policy corresponds to the services offered by the public German health insurance companies.

Students > 30 years of age
Students who are 30 years and older
, must be insured through a German private health insurance company. This means that the patient is initially responsible for paying his or her medical costs. The receipt is then submitted to the private health insurance provider for reimbursement. The International Office will be glad to assist you in the selection of your German health insurance provider.

Travel insurance
Travel insurance that is accepted during the visa application process at the embassy is also not sufficient for enrolment at the university. This travel insurance only covers emergency care during the applicable visa period. Please be aware that you may have multiple simultaneous insurance policies. Since it is required to have comprehensive standardised insurance coverage equivalent to coverage provided by a public German health insurance company for your registration with the foreigners registration office and your enrolment at the university, your policies may overlap.

European insurance card (EHIC)
If you are a citizen of a non-EU/EEA state and have a EHIC card, please bring the E 106 form with you from your home country. If you need to apply for a residence permit in order to study in Germany, both documents serve as proof of health insurance. However in this case you will need a confirmation of exoneration from compulsory coverage, which you get at no costs from a German statutory health insurance company (AOK, TK, etc.). Please note, that this exoneration is irreversible and you can therfore henceforth never join the German statutory health insurance anymore. 

Applying for and receiving statutory German health insurance before leaving your home country

  • You can apply for and receive statutory German health insurance before leaving your home country.
  • It only becomes effective at the beginning of the semester (01 October / 01 April) and once you have enrolled. If you arrive earlier, you will need travel insurance for the first few days in Germany.
  • You will not require a home address in Konstanz in order to apply for the health insurance. Simply identify “Konstanz” as your place of study. After registering, you will receive an email with your insurance certificate for presentation at the German embassy.
  • The statutory health insurance companies generally provide the same primary services. Additional services offered may differ. The policies may also differ in price (about 80 euros / month). In Konstanz you will find the following health insurance companies:
  • AOK - Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse
    Contact/application form in Konstanz: Carina Rigger (
  • TK - Techniker Krankenkasse
    Contact/application form in Konstanz: Tobias Hauser (
  • Barmer
    Contact/application form in Konstanz: Sabine Kraus (
  • DAK - Deutsche Angestellten-Krankenkasse
    Contact/application form in Konstanz: Christian Christ (
  • Overview of all statutory health insurance companies
First aid: Illustrated health glossary for international students in Germany

Liability insurance

According to German law, all damages to persons or things caused by personal negligence must be compensated with an unlimited amount. Compensation may be required, for example, in instances
- where traffic accidents (bicycle or other vehicles) cause material damages and require rehabilitation measures,
- damage is caused to your apartment, or even if
- your roommate's eye glasses fall to the ground and break.

Those who have been negligent and are not insured, must pay for the damages with their private assets, even after returning to their home country. To avoid this financial risk, most Germans have a voluntary personal liability insurance. It resolves the question of guilt in the case of an accident and pays for the damages. You may insure yourself for as little as 20-25 euros for 6 months.

The University of Konstanz does not provide liability insurance for students and it also does not cover any damage claims. All students must organise sufficient insurance coverage themselves.

Since most international students have a limited budget, the International Office strongly recommends that you take out liability insurance for the duration of your stay once you arrive in Germany. We will gladly assist you!