The Buddy Programme matches new international students with local students in Konstanz. Local students then become a “buddy” for one or more international students.
International students: The Buddy Programme is open to all international students, whether you are an exchange student, a degree-seeking student or a free mover.
Local students: Any local student can become a buddy. As long as you are in Konstanz before the semester starts, you can welcome one or more international students and help them get started in Konstanz. Both German students and international degree-seeking students can be buddies. Everyone is welcome! If you become a buddy, you should be on hand to greet your international student/s when they arrive. Usually international students arrive during the following periods:
- Winter semester: beginning of September/beginning of October
- Summer semester: beginning of March/beginning of April
What does a local buddy do?
Your local buddy is your first point of contact when you arrive and while you are getting started in Konstanz. Buddies
- help you find your way around the university,
- guide you through everyday life in Konstanz and answer any questions that pop up,
- introduce you to German and other local students,
- practice German with you,
- invite you to join in German student life.
Why become a buddy?
As a local buddy
- you get to meet students from all over the world and experience our international flair first-hand
- you can practice your foreign language skills
- you meet students from our partner universities in Europe, Asia, North and South America, Australia, Israel and South Africa
- you help international students feel welcome in Konstanz
What can we do together?
What you do together is completely up to the two of you! Here are a few ideas:
- pick up the key from the building manager if the international student arrives in Konstanz after opening hours
- pick up your international buddy from the train station, when he/she arrives
- a tour of the city: Where do you find the most important things in Konstanz?
- first orientation around the university: Where do you find important places like the library, cafeteria, University Sports, the International Office?
- general help with getting settled in Konstanz: know where to go out, meet the local buddy’s friends, find out where to go shopping (farmer’s markets, Switzerland, etc.), where to get a SIM card, where to buy an affordable bike or find a doctor
Registration deadline: 15 July 2019 (extended to 21 July)
We will let you know by mid to late July who your buddy or international student is. Feel free to contact our buddy team with any questions or problems you may have!
Confirmation of participation
You can get a confirmation of participation in the buddy programme and your voluntary intercultural engagement. For the confirmation, you need to
1. participate in the seminar "intercultural awareness":
Friday, 27.09.2019, 9.30 - 13.00, room H 307
In order to be well prepared for the buddy activities, we invite you to an interactive workshop on intercultural awareness. With exercises/role playing games and some theoretical input we will discuss concepts like culture, stereotypes and intercultural competencies. You will reflect your own cultural mindsets and train empathy and change of perspectives. Using critical incidents, we will practise (intercultural) communication strategies and develop options for action.
Register until 24.09.2019 (seats limited) with email@example.com
2. hand in a report on your buddy experience (Leitfragen / report guidelines)