The next call for applications for ZUKOnnect Fellowships will open at the end of October 2023, application deadline will be mid February 2024.
The Zukunftskolleg Konnect Fellowships support early career researchers from Africa, Asia and Latin America, who do research that fits to one of the thirteen departments at the University of Konstanz. As a ZUKOnnect Fellow, you can use this time to extend your research networks and to get to know the research environment at the University of Konstanz while keeping your position at home. As these fellowships can build a first bridge to the German and European academic system, we also encourage doctoral students in their last year to apply. The Zukunftskolleg will not offer employment contracts for ZUKOnnect Fellows.
The Zukunftskolleg is an Institute for Advanced Study (IAS). It offers fellowships as well as a diverse support network to promote the independence of early career researchers. Researchers at the postdoctoral level can work with minimal administrative constraints, and enjoy the freedom to engage in meaningful exchange with other up-and-coming colleagues as well as with distinguished senior researchers. Researchers in the humanities, social and natural sciences come to Konstanz from around the world to perform first-class research. The Zukunftskolleg is a keystone in the University of Konstanz's institutional strategy and the University of Konstanz is one of Germany’s eleven Universities of Excellence.
The foundation “Manfred Ulmer-Stiftung für Wissenschaft und Gesellschaft” at the University of Konstanz has been funding early career researchers since its foundation in 1979. Since 2021, the foundation supports the “ZUKOnnect Fellowship” with the Manfred-Ulmer scholarship – a scholarship programme they have been running for several decades – amounting to 6,000 euros and thus funding one of the four scholarships. The Manfred Ulmer foundation is eager about the opportunity to play an even more active role in attracting international early career researchers in the future by supporting this innovative format of the Zukunftskolleg at the University of Konstanz.
- During the on-campus research stay, a stipend of € 1,200/month for doctoral students and € 2,000/month for postdoctoral researchers (following DAAD guidelines).
- Standard expenses for one economy-class trip to Konstanz and back.
- The chance to participate in events organized by the Zukunftskolleg.
- Access to library resources.
- Access to IT services.
- Access to research support services (via Research Support).
- ZUKOnnect Fellows will benefit from a digital affiliation extending the total period to 12 months. The digital affiliation will be supported with up to € 900 (lump sum).
- You will live in Konstanz or nearby throughout the on-site ZUKOnnect Fellowship (the Welcome Centre at the University of Konstanz will support you with all organizational aspects of relocating to Konstanz).
- During the digital affiliation and the on-campus research stay, you will actively contribute to the interdisciplinary dialogue at the Zukunftskolleg, e.g. during weekly Jour fixe meetings (in the semester).
- You will interact with fellows and researchers in relevant departments at the University of Konstanz.
- You will give a presentation in a seminar or a public lecture.
- You will acknowledge the Zukunftskolleg’s support in any publications resulting from the stay.
- You will write a short report on your activities and achievements (within 6 months of completing your
- You are educated AND currently work in Latin America, Asia and/or Africa.
- You hold a doctorate (max. 2 years, doctoral degree granted after 15 February 2021) OR are a doctoral student in your final year.
- Your doctorate was/ is going to be completed at a university in Latin America, Asia or Africa.
- You do not hold a permanent professorship, nor do you have a habilitation or equivalent qualification (Venia legendi).
- Your research project fits to one of the disciplines represented at the University of Konstanz.
- You should name a researcher at the University of Konstanz – possibly a current Fellow of the Zukunftskolleg – with whom you intend to collaborate (please do not contact person(s) in advance).