Senior Fellows are established guest scholars from the natural sciences, humanities or social sciences who join the Zukunftskolleg for a research stay and work with the Fellows. This support and inspiration is a mutual advantage, the Senior Fellows profit by the impulses provided by the younger generation and vice versa. Therefore the Zukunftskolleg inspires younger and more experienced researchers alike.
Senior Fellows are free to pursue their research project at the Zukunftskolleg without any obligation to teach or to participate in the boards or committees of the University. They are required to promote the Zukunftskolleg’s projects by participating in discussions and mentoring Fellows.
Senior Fellowships comprise a research stay at the Zukunftskolleg of up to twelve months and provide funding for a Senior Fellow position for the duration of the stay. The Senior Fellow may choose one of the following options: The Zukunftskolleg assumes the costs of a replacement at the Senior Fellow's home institution or the Senior Fellow receives a remuneration (honorarium). Additionally, the Zukunftskolleg provides a subsidy to cover living expenses in Konstanz.
The Senior Fellow
- can apply for financial support (co-funding) from the Zukunftskolleg, for example for student/research assistants or consumables
- receives administrative support from the Central Office of the Zukunftskolleg and can access the library, computer centre, and other central facilities at the University of Konstanz
Obligations and Responsibilities
- support Zukunftskolleg Fellows as a mentor and advisor
- contribute actively to interdisciplinary dialogue at the Zukunftskolleg during the weekly Jour Fixe meetings
- engage with Fellows and researchers in relevant Departments at the University of Konstanz
- present a seminar or a public lecture
- write a short report on activities and achievements (within 6 months of the end of the fellowship)
- acknowledge Zukunftskolleg support in any publications resulting from their period of stay in Konstanz
Eligibility for Nominations
Membership as a Senior Fellow is tied to the Zukunftskolleg Award. The Zukunftskolleg Award acknowledges outstanding academic achievement and real commitment to promoting young researchers. Only Fellows of the Zukunftskolleg and the rector of the University of Konstanz may nominate candidates for the Zukunftskolleg Award. Distinguished German or foreign scientists and scholars from the natural sciences, humanities or social sciences may be nominated.
No application call is issued by the Zukunftskolleg. Entitled persons may submit nominations to the Zukunftskolleg at any time. The Executive Committee confers the Awards and respective Senior Fellowships with each of them lasting between one and twelve months.
Any nominations for the Zukunftskolleg Award require that the nominee:
- is a professor at a German or foreign university, a senior researcher at an internationally recognised research institute, or holds comparable qualifications
- has an outstanding research record, documented by publications and awards
- has a thematic focus that fits into the research profile of the University of Konstanz and the projects conducted by Zukunftskolleg Fellows.
All nominations and required documents must be written in English and submitted electronically (PDF format/one file per applicant) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit the following documents:
- Zukunftskolleg Award nomination form (download form as .docx or as .odt)
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee
- List of the nominee's publications
- At least two references/letters of recommendation on the nominee; additional referees are welcomed. The guidelines for referees taking part in the nomination process are available here.
The Zukunftskolleg's Executive Committee decides on the nominations and on the length of the Senior Fellow's research stay at Konstanz. It may call on external experts to contribute to the decision-making process. Nominees will be notified of the decision in writing.