Senior Fellows are established guest scholars from the natural sciences, humanities or social sciences who join the Zukunftskolleg for a research stay and work with the fellows. This support and inspiration is a mutual advantage, the Senior Fellows profit by the impulses provided by the younger generation and vice versa. Therefore the Zukunftskolleg inspires younger and more experienced researchers alike.
Senior Fellowships comprise a research stay at the Zukunftskolleg, including funding for a Senior Fellow position and research support for the duration of the stay. The Zukunftskolleg provides them with an inspiring and diversified research environment that offers invaluable opportunities to encounter and exchange ideas and information with other up-and-coming colleagues from different disciplines and cultural backgrounds. During their stay, Senior Fellows are free to pursue their research project at the Zukunftskolleg without any obligation to teach or to participate in the boards or committees of the university. They are required to promote the Zukunftskolleg’s projects by participating in discussions and mentoring fellows.
To foster this intergenerational exchange Senior Fellows can be nominated by Postdoctoral or Research Fellows or can apply in a competitive call. In either case, we expect a strong relationship between our fellows that should drive their collaborative, innovative research and engage the wider scientific community at the University of Konstanz and internationally.
The Senior Fellow
- can apply for financial support (co-funding) from the Zukunftskolleg, for example for student/research assistants, consumables and workshops
- receives administrative support from the Central Office of the Zukunftskolleg and can access the library, computer centre, and other central facilities at the University of Konstanz.
Obligations and Responsibilities
Senior Fellows are committed to
- Reside in Konstanz or nearby throughout the Senior Fellowship (the Welcome Centre of the University of Konstanz will offer support with all organizational aspects of relocating to Konstanz);
- Active contribute to the interdisciplinary dialogue at the Zukunftskolleg during the weekly Jour Fixe meetings (in particular for Senior Fellowship upon application);
- Interact with fellows and researchers in relevant departments at the University of Konstanz;
- Support the fellows as a mentor;
- Give a presentation in a seminar or a public lecture;
- Acknowledge Zukunftskolleg support in any publications resulting from the stay;
- Submit a short report on your activities and achievements (within 6 months of completing your fellowship).