The Hector Pioneer Fellowship is offered by the Zukunftskolleg in collaboration with the Hector Stiftung II and is dedicated to extraordinary post-doctoral researchers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) fields. The candidates’ research ideally links up to the university's focus areas: "Chemical Biology and Ecology", "Molecular Nanotechnology and Materials Science", and "Decision Sciences" amongst others. Interdisciplinary and innovative projects are specifically welcome.
5-year Hector Fellowships are comparable to Zukunftskolleg Research Fellowships. They promote researchers with significant work experience at the postdoctoral level aiming for a career in academia. Hector Fellows build their own academic identity by leading an independent research group at the University of Konstanz.
The Zukunftskolleg provides them with a professional infrastructure and an appropriate workplace for conducting research. Each Fellow receives an annual research allowance e.g. for funding research assistants or equipment. Furthermore, the Zukunftskolleg gives financial support for start-up, consumerables and travel costs, and assists in developing acaemic skills.
Each Fellow is a member of both a University department and the Zukunftskolleg. Fellows have a work contract with the University of Konstanz and are expected to have their place of residence in Konstanz or nearby. They participate actively in the regular weekly meetings ("Jour Fixe") of the Zukunftskolleg and have an opportunity to teach.
Hector Pioneer Fellows
- receive start-up funding and a yearly research allowance
- may nominate Senior Fellows
- may apply for Co-Funding
- may apply for Mentorships
- may apply for Scientific Retreats
- may apply for funding for cooperative initiatives
- may apply for funding for particular career stages
- profit from coaching and other non-monetary support
In order to be eligible, candidates must fulfill all of the eligibility criteria:
- Candidates must be in possession of a doctoral degree (PhD thesis submitted and defended) at the moment of the application and have acquired a maximum of four years of postdoctoral research experience;
- Candidates must not hold a permanent position in academia, a professorship, or have an habilitation or equivalent (venia legendi);
- Candidates must propose a research project that ties in with one of the STEM disciplines and ideally with one of the academic focus areas of the University of Konstanz. Applicants should contact potential mentors (Local Hosts) among the researchers at the University of Konstanz in order to ensure appropriate affiliation. Support from the department strengthens the application;
- Candidates must already have secured a research group grant in a competitive process of at least 50,000 € or an equivalent amount of funding to be used for their research while at the Zukunftskolleg. Candidates with external applications which have been submitted before the application deadline, but are still waiting for the decision will receive a Fellowship offer conditional on the approval;
- Candidates with their own position funded by another program, which can be transferred to Konstanz, are also eligible.
Currently no call for applications. Application in between calls is not accepted.
Applications should be submitted via our online application portal .
The following documents are required to submit the application:
- A complete application form
- Motivation Letter (1 page max)
- Project Outline (5 pages max)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of all relevant degree certificates
- Writing Sample (30 pages max)
- Two letters of reference
Hector Pioneer Fellowships are comparable to assistant professorships or junior professorships without tenure in Germany. During their Research Fellowships, Fellows can qualify for permanent positions as full professors by pursuing frontier research and exhibiting all skills necessary for a university career. Fellows are invited to apply for faculty positions at the University of Konstanz.