Continuing studies


Do I have to re-register?

If you are enrolled at the University of Konstanz and you intend to continue your studies next semester, you must re-register (§ 11 para. 1 sentence 1 University of Konstanz Admission and Enrolment Requirements (ZImmO).

As a general rule, you must be enrolled during the semester in which you complete your last examination. This also applies to any necessary repeat examinations (§ 1 para. 2 University of Konstanz Admission and Enrolment Requirements (ZImmO).


Even if you intend to change your study programme (e.g. change from bachelor to master studies), then you should re-register for your current study programme. When you receive the admission letter for the new programme, then you will also receive an amended personal data sheet that reflects your automatic enrolment in the new study programme.

When do I have to re-register?

  • For the following winter semester: 15 July until 15 August
  • For the following summer semester: 15 January until 15 February

There may be slight alterations if the starting or end date of these periods falls on a weekend or national holiday (§ 11 para. 2 ZImmO).

The Student-Service-Centre (SSZ) will send you a legally valid email to your university account before the start of the re-registration period in order to remind you of the dates. You are legally obliged to use this email address (§ 1 para. 2 in connection with § 3 para. 1 User regulations for the University of Konstanz email system).

How do I re-register?

You re-register when you pay the required fees (§ 11 para. 1 sentence 2 ZImmO). Please transfer the required amount to the University Cashier's Office account using a 12-digit payment reference number.

In ZEuS you will get an overview by following the menu “My Studies - Student Service” and then further to “Bills and payments” about your individual re-registration fee.


This payment reference number only applies for the semester in question. The payment information and the 12-digit payment reference number can be find in the bottom left hand corner of your current personal data sheet. You can also search for the correct number yourself. Instructions on how to do so are available on the FAQs page.

Account details of the University Cashier's Office:

IBAN: DE92 6005 0101 7486 5012 74


Bank name: Baden-Wuerttembergische Bank in Stuttgart

The University Cashier's Office does not accept any cash payments.

How much do I need to pay in order to re-register ?

The standard amount is currently 160 euros. See your personal data sheet or the internet pages about fees for information about the exact amount owed and its components.

How do I find out if my re-registration was successful?

Once you have paid your tuition fees and contributions and all other re-registration requirements are met, you will be mailed your personal data sheet with certificates of study and a semester sticker for your student ID card (§ 9 para. 1 ZImmO). Even before you get this sheet from us, you can even see at ZEuS what state you are currently on and if you have already been re-registered. Please login and navigate through the menu "My Studies - Student Service". In the header the desired information is displayed you are looking for.

What happens if I miss the payment deadline?

If you do not pay the fees and contributions in time, then you will be charged an additional administrative fee of 15 euros (§ 11 para. 3 ZImmO in connection with § 4 University of Konstanz Administrative Fees Regulation). The Student-Service-Centre (SSZ) will send you a legally valid email before the start of the re-registration period as a payment reminder.

Not paying the outstanding sum during this extension period will result in your legal exmatriculation at the end of current semester (§ 62 para. 2 no. 4 State Law on Higher Education).

What can delay or prevent my re-registration even though I have paid my tuition fees and contributions?

 Typical issues that prevent re-registration according to § 11 para. 4 ZImmO and other regulations include:

  • You are missing proof of in-courses academic performance assessments that were completed on time, e.g. the intermediate examination or the orientation test. Your departmental student advisor will decide whether or not to grant your extension request. Please turn in the completed request to the SSZ.
  • You have not fulfilled a health insurance requirement for students in regards to the public German health insurance (§ 254 Volume V of the Social Insurance Code).
  • You are missing some kind of documentary proof required for admission to study (e.g. completion of an orientation internship for teaching studies, transcript of the first university degree, submission of the external exmatriculation certificate).
  • You are about to exceed the maximum allowed period of study that is defined in your examination regulations.


As long as you have paid the tuition fees and contributions, these are the only cases where the late fee of 15 euros would be waived.

I have additional questions!

Many answers to frequent questions about re-registration and related topics can be found on the FAQ page.