Immigration office

If your stay at the University of Konstanz is longer than three months and you entered Germany on a visa, you will need to register your arrival with the municipality as well as with the Ausländerbehörde (immigration office) where you will request a residence permit. You will need to contact the Ausländerbehörde (immigration office) responsible for your place of residence. For example, if you live in Konstanz, you will need to contact the city of Konstanz’s Ausländerbehörde.

Please note: Even if you are a non-EU citizen who is not required to have a visa to travel to Germany, if you stay longer than three months at the University of Konstanz, you will need to apply for a residence permit after you arrive.

EU- and EEA- citizens do not need a residence permit.

Our Welcome Centre team will be happy to explain the various kinds of residence permits and find the right one for you. We will gladly help you organise the required documents. For example, you will need proof of health insurance coverage in Germany to apply for a residence permit. Please be aware that normally only German health insurance will be accepted.

Please contact us as soon as possible in order to clarify the legal requirements that apply to you. EURAXESS Deutschland provides a complete overview of all requirements.

This information is provided without guarantee of completeness or accuracy.