The University of Konstanz Society (UGK) was founded on 1 February 1965, calling itself “Gesellschaft der Freunde and Förderer der Universität Konstanz” (association for friends and supporters of the university), pre-dating the university by one year. Its long-established aim has been to support the University of Konstanz’s development and activities and to cultivate new and existing contacts between the university and the region.
The UGK currently has about 300 members. These include many persons of note, businesses and associations, but also communities and other corporate bodies from the tri-border Lake Constance region. The University of Konstanz society is a registered charity.
In its more than 50-year history, the University of Konstanz Society was led by seven presidents:
- Dr Hans Constantin Paulssen (1965 - 1974)
- Dr Theopont Diez (1974 - 1986)
- Dr Brigitte Weyl (1986 - 1996)
- Dietrich H. Boesken (1996 - 2004)
- Dr Gerd Springe (2004 - 2010)
- Dr Stefan Keh (2010 - 2015)
- Björn Graf Bernadotte (since 2015)