How to proceed
Here’s how you can take part:
- Start off by filling out the registration form which includes brief information about your company and the field of work/responsibilities you would like to show participating students/doctoral researchers.
- We will then publish a short profile of this information on the Career Service website excluding the contact information of the job shadowing partner.
- Interested students will then apply for a job shadowing opportunity in your company/field of work using an online form with details on their curriculum vitae (resume).
- We will then forward the application(s) to you.
- With your approval, we will then forward the contact information of the job shadowing partner to the interested student/doctoral researcher. He or she will then contact you to plan the next steps.
Here’s how job shadowing works:
- You and the participating student/doctoral researcher clarify all the relevant details.
- The job shadowing day can include the following parts:
- Welcome, introduction, formalities
- Tour of the company
- Job shadowing during everyday work
- A short discussion of the day
After the job shadowing day:
- Please send us a short email with your feedback afterwards.
What do you gain?
- You get to know students and learn from their perspectives.
- You can present your company at the university.
- You can meet prospective future employees.
- You receive direct feedback about your company and your work.
- You can pass on your experiences and give orientation.
Please register here.
Tips for a successful shadowing day
- Clarify details, expectations, the sequence of events and working hours in advance. The student or doctoral researcher visiting you should know what to expect.
- Clarify organisational requirements and company regulations.
- Your job shadow should experience a normal workday at your company. If at all possible, please avoid scheduling meetings or confidential appointments that your job shadow cannot attend.
- When you introduce yourselves, take the opportunity to clarify any questions, share your personal career path and ask the participating student/doctoral researcher about his/her expectations and motivation. At the end of the day, you can reflect on the day’s experiences together.
- Show your job shadow the company and your division.
- Plan to have lunch together, perhaps including other colleagues.