The University of Konstanz’s German-English Dictionary


At the moment, you will need to log in to the glossary in order to open it. We are working on fixing this problem as soon as possible. In the mean time, please enter the following:
Username: user
Password: UniKons1

German-English glossary

To make it easier for all university members to write English texts, the University of Konstanz has now launched its own German-English glossary. It will help you find the right terms used in Konstanz and will increase the consistency of our university’s communication. The server-based glossary contains general university-related terms as well as Konstanz-specific terms. We will continuously update the glossary and adapt it to the needs of the University of Konstanz.

The University of Konstanz glossary will continue to grow and is not exhaustive. Do you miss a term or wish to give us feedback? Please contact us by email.

Server-based glossary

The server is run in cooperation with the University of Mannheim, which hosts the server. Each university has its own glossary on that server. This means that users at the University of Konstanz will access specific University of Konstanz content only.

Why do we need a glossary?

As the University of Konstanz becomes increasingly international, it has also become more and more necessary to provide texts in English for our international target groups (students, professors, researchers etc.). Finding an English equivalent for specific university-related terms can be quite challenging. Many of these terms are either not included in the usual dictionaries, or you will find too many translation options. It can take up a lot of your time to find the right word. As a result, different English words are often used for one and the same German term, which can confuse readers. Our German-English glossary is here to help!

You can also use the filtering function to search for terms from a specific field (e.g. all study programmes). Currently, several steps are required to use the filter (see manual), the provider is working on simplifying the process.