Do you live in a European Union (EU) member state or in the European Economic Area (EEA)?
If so, you are not required to pay tuition fees for your first degree in Germany.
For second degree studies in Baden-Württemberg since the winter semester 2017/18, you are required to pay 650 euros per semester. More information
Is it true that students from countries outside of the EU or EEA will be required to pay tuition fees in Konstanz?
Yes, that is true. The state of Baden-Württemberg has decided to require students from non-EU/EEA countries to pay 1,500 euros in tuition fees per semester since the winter semester 2017/18. Unfortunately, the University of Konstanz is not be able to spare these expenses for students interested in completing their bachelor's or master's at the University of Konstanz. More information
Will it still be worth it to study in Konstanz? Absolutely!
Here are five good reasons why it is worth every euro to study at the University of Konstanz.
1) You will study at one of the world’s best young universities located in one of Germany’s most beautiful regions. At the University of Konstanz, you will learn and research at an internationally leading young research university. Our university has been successful in both the German Excellence Initiative and the Excellence Strategy since 2007 and was ranked in 2016 as the 7th best young university in the world (“THE 150 Under 50”). We offer our students a high quality research-oriented study experience - all in a friendly campus atmosphere on the shores of Lake Constance near the Swiss Alps.
2) Excellent information and support services: You have our support during your time in Konstanz: We provide our international students with a comprehensive support network – before arrival in Germany and throughout their studies – which includes buddy programmes. Furthermore, you can choose between three different study preparation and orientation programmes. Our support services for international students are rated outstandingly, including regular top placements in the International Student Barometer (ISB).
3) Free language classes: Sprechen Sie Deutsch? If not, no worries: Our Language Institute (SLI) offers you diverse foreign language training at no cost – not only in German, but in many other languages as well. Many of our master’s programmes are also offered in English.
4) Where else can you study around the clock? Our excellent and newly renovated library is open 24 hours a day, including weekends. Besides the two million media items, our library provides extensive modern work and learning space.
5) Teaching through research: To study in Konstanz means to have access to research infrastructure from the very beginning of your studies. You will profit from support provided by the Excellence Initiative and Excellence Strategy in addition to the well-funded facilities and research initiatives at the university. Current research findings continuously impact our teaching. Our interdisciplinary study programmes are therefore up-to-date with the latest developments in research and academia.
All of these opportunities and many more are available to you at the University of Konstanz. The tuition fees are used to help us provide you with these quality higher education opportunities and support services.