The University of Konstanz provides its organisational units with the possibility to establish their own subdomains. The domain names are allocated and coordinated by Miriam Leifeld, Communications and Marketing. The following guidelines ensure a uniform appearance as well as the logical naming of utilised subdomains.
Please note that we will need up to a week to approve and set up a (short) URL.
The University of Konstanz uses the main domain www.uni-konstanz.de. The entire technical infrastructure is integrated under this domain.
The Communication, Information, Media Centre (KIM) is responsible for the technical management of the domain.
Short URLs are shortened URLs used in print materials, for example, in order to avoid having to memorise, type-out or distribute long URLs. The short URL of the University of Konstanz is based on the domain www.uni.kn. This domain is connected to the main domain uni-konstanz.de. A short URL (for example www.wiwi.uni.kn) does not have to be requested - it will be automatically created when you apply for a main domain URL (for example www.wiwi.uni-konstanz.de).
A further option for displaying short URLs is the use of navigation paths. Starting from the homepage, you can describe the navigation path to the readers. For example:
„Under the following link www.uni-konstanz.de/studieren you will be able to access a list of all “study programmes”” by clicking on the corresponding link.
The domain www.uni-konstanz.de is divided into subdomains that reflect the organisational structure of the University of Konstanz. Subdomains are prefixes for the main domains. For example: www.jura.uni-konstanz.de. They are used as concise URLs for communication purposes. The domain names should ensure a uniform appearance and correspond to website content. As a result, subdomains should be created under the following guidelines:
Guidelines for Subdomains
- A requirement is that the subdomain names, contents and their use are directly related to the university.
- Information units of Type 0 are not supplied with subdomains since they are the central components of the University of Konstanz’s web presence. For example: www.uni-konstanz.de/rektorat.
- Subdomains are to be used only by organisational and sub units of the University of Konstanz, not for individual projects, conferences etc.
- More than one subdomain for the same webpage should not be created. An exception is the translation of subdomains (see point 4).
- Subdomains should always reference homepages or distribution pages, not content pages.
- In certain cases, URLs that don´t satisfy these requirements can be approved by Miriam Leifeld, Communications and Marketing.
Allocating Subdomain Names
- The subdomain name should include the complete organisational description or an official and established abbreviation. In order to facilitate consistent communication and a professional appearance, this stipulation is necessary. For example, www.kim.uni-konstanz.de.
- Subdomains for names of people can only be used in exceptional cases. This rule will prevent organisational problems caused by individuals having the same name.
- Subdomains must be comprised of at least three letters.
- Subdomains can not contain any special characters or German umlauts, with the exception of the hyphen “-”.
- Subdomains can be requested with or without the preceding www.
The following organizational units can request subdomains:
- Central institutions
- Cooperation projects
- Doctoral programme
- www.department.uni.kn/name of the programm
- Interdisciplinary research projects
- Research projects
- University group
All areas that were not listed above will receive subpages of the domain or subdomains.
- Core elements of the university (TYP 0 pages) will receive a subpage of the domain uni.kn.
- Subdomains with names that bypass hierarchical levels should not be allocated.
- allowed: www.jura.uni-konstanz.de/lenski/
- not allowed: www.lenski.jura.uni-konstanz.de
- To differentiate between the department and the study programme, the subdomains should be written out as follows: Domainname/study/study programme
Approval for a (sub)domain
The domain names at the University of Konstanz are allocated and coordinated by Miriam Leifeld, Communication and Marketing.Please note that we will need up to a week to approve and set up a (short) URL.