For whom is this just the right opportunity?
As a guest auditor, you can participate in individual curricular courses without having to take up a regular course of study with a final goal, provided that sufficient capacity is available. You are welcome to take part if...
- you are not interested in completing examinations or earning a degree.
- you want to engage in intellectual exchange with other people.
- you are retired and interested in taking university courses.
- you want to take advantage of an opportunity that is not offered at your own university.
- you want to study without a general higher education entrance qualification or want to further educate yourself.
What legal requirements are there?
- You cannot take any examinations nor will you be able to count any coursework towards a degree.
- You do not have access to student discounts, e.g. the semester ticket.
- You are not a member of the University of Konstanz.
The legal provisions covering the guest auditing of courses and the associated restrictions are § 64 para. 1 Landeshochschulgesetz (state law on higher education) in connection with § 19 Zulassungs- und Immatrikulationsordnung der Universität Konstanz (admission and enrolment regulations of the University of Konstanz) as well as § 1 Verwaltungsgebührensatzung der Universität Konstanz (admission and enrolment regulations of the University of Konstanz) in their most current editions. Information on the statutory accident insurance for guest auditors can be found under "Links and Downloads".
Important: As a guest student, please always carry your guest student permit with you when you enter the campus so that you can identify yourself at any time.
Further advantages and services
As a guest auditor with permission to audit classes, you can also
- apply for guest access to emails in order to use, for example, the ILIAS learning platform and the WiFi on campus.
- apply for a free user card for the university library in order to access all of its media.
There are no additional fees besides the guest auditor registration fee.
How do I become a guest auditor?
Please consider the following prerequisites:
- You must apply for permission to audit courses. Please submit the application before the start of the lecture period of the respective semester.
- For study programmes with admission restrictions and for language courses, please obtain authorisation from the responsible person [pdf] in the respective department or the Language Institute (SLI) by having them sign your application.
- Please also make sure to transfer the guest auditor registration fee of 50 euros per semester per person to the Universitätskasse (university cashier's office). You will need to pay your guest auditor registration fee as soon as the university receives your application.
|Authorisation required||Authorisation is not required|
|Politics and public administration||Mathematics|
|Language Institute (SLI) courses** (without German)|
* You will only need to obtain permission from the respective lecturer to attend the lectures (e.g. via email).
** For the period from the summer semester 2020 up to and including the winter semester 2021/22, admission as a guest auditor in one of the SLI's online language courses had been suspended for capacity reasons for persons outside of cooperations.
Who processes your application?
Your application will be processed and prerequisites checked by the Student Service Centre (SSZ) on level B4. The SSZ will issue your guest auditor authorisation either in person or by (postal) mail. If you are interested in continuing to audit classes in the next semester, you must submit a follow-up application.
Special offer: Guest studies within the cooperation with other universities in the Lake Constance region
There are cooperation agreements*, especially for students from the HTWG in Konstanz and the PHTG in Kreuzlingen (Switzerland), which enable them as guest students to attend supplementary courses at the University of Konstanz free of charge and to complete related achievements.
Participation in guest studies must be applied for in writing at the University of Konstanz on a semester-by-semester basis. For certain subjects or areas, possible participation must also be approved by the relevant department [pdf] or the Language Institute (SLI). At the same time, interested students must also prove their status as a student of one of the partner universities mentioned. As a rule, proof is provided by submitting a certificate of enrolment for the semester in question. The complete "Application for participation as a guest student [pdf]" is then submitted to the Student Service Centre (SSZ) together with this proof. Ideally, this should be done a few weeks before the start of the semester; however, at the latest by the start of the respective lecture period. After we have registered you centrally in ZEuS as a visiting student, you will also receive a so-called data control sheet together with the written permission, which contains, among other things, the important university mail account. This will give you access to the ILIAS learning platform and ZEuS. Through ZEuS, you can then upload a personal picture for use on the student ID card (= UniCard). You will use the UniCard again and again throughout the campus (canteen, copying).
* Cooperation agreements exist exclusively for the HTWG in Konstanz, the PHTG in Kreuzlingen (Switzerland), the University of Zurich (Switzerland) - only for students in the subject Political and Administrative Sciences, and for the Zeppelin University Friedrichshafen (ZU) - only for students in the subjects Sociology and Political and Administrative Sciences.