5-year Research Fellowships promote researchers with significant work experience at the postdoctoral level aiming for a career in academia. Research Fellows build their own academic identity by leading an independent research group at the University of Konstanz.
The Zukunftskolleg provides them with a professional infrastructure and an appropriate workplace for conducting research. Each fellow receives an annual research allowance, e.g. for funding research assistants or equipment. Furthermore, the Zukunftskolleg gives financial support for start-up, consumerables and travel costs, and assists in developing academic skills.
Each fellow is a member of both a university department and the Zukunftskolleg. A mentoring committee supports each fellow in her/his career development. This committee consists of an experienced researcher from the fellow’s research field within the university department, as well as an advanced Research Fellow of the Zukunftskolleg.
Fellows have a work contract with the University of Konstanz and are expected to have their place of residence in Konstanz. They participate actively in the regular weekly meetings (Jour Fixe) of the Zukunftskolleg and have an opportunity to teach.
Research Fellows profit from all support measures available at the Zukunftskolleg:
- they receive an annual research allowance e.g. for funding research assistants or equipment
- they are eligible to apply for co-funding
- Senior Fellowships and the Mentorship Programme give them the opportunity to invite distinguished colleagues to Konstanz
- they can go on a temporary Research Visit abroad or nominate international early career researchers for a Research Visit at the Zukunftskolleg
- they are eligible to apply for funding for cooperative initiatives or for funding for particular career stages
- they receive non-monetary support like coaching, professional career counseling or in grant proposal writing
- they get financial support to organise and run a scientific retreat
In order to be eligible, candidates must fulfill all eligibility criteria:
- applicants must have a doctoral degree and have acquired five years of postdoctoral research experience at most
- applicants cannot hold an academic permanent position, a professorship, or have an habilitation or equivalent ("venia legendi")
- applicants must propose a research project that ties in with a discipline represented at the University of Konstanz
- applicants must have already secured a research grant of at least 50,000 Euros or an equivalent amount of funding to be used for their research while at the Zukunftskolleg. Applicants with pending grant applications are eligible to apply for a fellowship. A fellowship offer would be contingent upon the successful attainment of the required third-party funding*
- candidates with their own position funded by another program, which can be transferred to Konstanz, are also eligible
If you have any questions concerning the eligibility criteria, please check our FAQ.
* Do you have questions about how to obtain a research grant in Germany? Please find more information on the website of the Research Support Office. The Research Support Office also assists in identifying funding opportunities for your research - provided you have already a Local Host at the University of Konstanz. (What is a Local Host? Check our FAQ.)
The applications are selected in a multi stage process
- Eligibility check and pre-selection
- International external peer-review
- Interdisciplinary Workshop on Future Research Directions at the University of Konstanz
Since it is the community of fellows that makes up the Zukunftskolleg, applicants are assessed not only for their academic achievements, but also for their personal, social and method-related abilities. The selection of fellows is organized as a highly competitive process involving intra-disciplinary as well as interdisciplinary evaluation. Criteria include diverse knowledge and qualifications such as leadership and teamwork skills, teaching or management experience, mobility and independence.
The candidates’ achievements should be in line with their “academic age”, so that they have a realistic prospect of being appointed professors.
1. Eligibility check and formal pre-selection
In order to be eligible for application, candidates must fulfill all of the eligibility criteria listed above. Applications that do not pass the eligibility check will not be further considered. Subsequently, a first evaluation takes the quality of the proposal, the applicant's track record, and the suitability of the research proposal to the University of Konstanz into consideration.
Applicants are informed whether they have passed the eligibility check and whether their applications are forwarded for peer review.
2. International external peer-review
In the second stage, the best applications are forwarded to external experts who evaluate the research project and CV. Peer reviewers are distinguished experts in the same area of research as the proposals they assess, thus guaranteeing a high level of competence in the evaluation process. Peer reviewers are asked to comment on the quality of the research proposal, the long-term potential of the project, and academic performance, skills and competence relevant to an interdisciplinary setting. All candidates will receive short synopses of the anonymous reviewers’ reports.
At this stage, candidates will be asked to submit a financial plan for the research project. This plan should take into account the research costs that the project will incur and the necessary infrastructure required. Please keep in mind that the Zukunftskolleg is not able to pay salaries for personnel such as PhD students or postdoctoral researchers that would work in the research group. Estimates of research and infrastructure costs will provide the basis of the start-up funding if a fellowship is offered. For potential equipment costs, for example, candidates should be prepared to provide official cost estimates from potential suppliers.
3. Interdisciplinary Workshop on Future Research Directions and decision
In the next step, the recruitment committee will meet to discuss all peer-reviewed applications. Please note that the recruitment committee has access to all applications, even to those that have not passed the eligibility check. The candidates with the most promising research proposals (approximately twice the number of advertised positions) are invited to the Workshop on Future Research Directions at the University of Konstanz.
The purpose of the workshop is to give the interdisciplinary recruitment committee an opportunity to evaluate candidates in person. At this workshop, applicants present their proposed projects to the recruitment committee and the other applicants, and discuss their own and other applicants’ projects. They subsequently are further evaluated in a personal interview.
The committee evaluates the personal aptitude of the candidates with regard to leadership and teamwork skills, their ability to present their projects and receive criticism, as well as their ability and willingness to engage in interdisciplinary exchange. Candidates are informed of the final decision and their own strengths and weaknesses shortly after the workshop.
Successful applicants are offered a Research Fellowship at the Zukunftskolleg. The members of the recruitment committee draw up a waiting list in case selected candidates reject the offer. No redress procedure is provided, but unsuccessful candidates are eligible to resubmit a revised proposal in the next selection round. Similarly, candidates who have evidence that there has been a shortcoming in the way their proposal was evaluated may appeal their rejection and resubmit their application, together with a justification for the appeal, for re-evaluation in the next selection round.
Zukunftskolleg 5-year Research Fellowships are comparable to assistant professorships or junior professorships without tenure in Germany. During their Research Fellowships, fellows can qualify for permanent positions as full professors by pursuing frontier research and exhibiting all skills necessary for a university career. Fellows are invited to apply for faculty positions at the University of Konstanz.