Zukunftskolleg Herz Fellowships 2023
Herz Fellowships are awarded upon nomination by professors of the University of Konstanz. Candidates cannot apply directly to this fellowship programme, but are encouraged to apply through the ZUKOnnect Fellowship Programme.
In 2020, the University of Konstanz won the Henriette Herz Award launched by the Alexander-von-Humboldt-Stiftung to promote the active recruitment of excellent international early career researchers and support their integration into the German and global academic community.
With the award, the Zukunftskolleg will offer Zukunftskolleg Herz Fellowships. The (post-)doctoral stipends for up to 4 months aim to attract excellent early career researchers from Africa, Asia and Latin America. The on-site stipends are complemented by a digital fellowship extending it to a 12-month Herz Fellowship. Zukunftskolleg Herz Fellowships will be awarded based on gender and diversity-sensitive nomination.
The Zukunftskolleg Internal Liaison Board (ILB) will be entitled to nominate candidates. To actively identify the best candidates from all disciplines, all professors of the University of Konstanz, prospective Humboldt Scouts, Konstanz alumni ambassadors and strategic partners in Africa, Asia and Latin America are encouraged to make suggestions to the ILB. Proposals from external researchers will need to link up with a local host (faculty member from one of the departments of the University of Konstanz who works in a similar research field) that can act as a mentor during the on-campus research stay.
The ILB will be able to make up to 30 nomination proposals of which four candidates will be selected by the Executive Committee of the Zukunftskolleg.
Herz Fellowship offers
- Research stay for 3 months – with justification for up to 4 months (start date between 15 Sept 2023 and 15 Oct 2023)
- A stipend during the research stay of € 1,200/month for doctoral students/ € 2,000/month for postdoctoral researchers.
- Standard expenses for one economy-class trip to Konstanz and back.
- The chance to participate in events organized by the Zukunftskolleg.
- Access to Career Kit Plus offers (via Academic Staff Development, Research Support, International Office, Open Science).
- Access to library resources and IT services
- Herz Fellows will benefit from a digital affiliation extending the total period to 12 months (supported with up to 900€ (lump sum)).
Requirements for nominated candidates
- Herz Fellows are educated AND work in Latin America, Asia and/or Africa.
- Herz Fellows hold a doctorate (max 2 years, doctoral degree granted after 15 March 2021) OR are a doctoral student in their final year.
- Herz Fellows do not hold a permanent professorship, nor have a habilitation or equivalent qualification.
- The doctorate was/ is going to be completed at a university in Latin America, Asia or Africa (preferable)
- Their research project should fit to one of the thirteen disciplines represented at the University of Konstanz.
As prospective local host* of the nominated candidates, please submit the following application documents as separate PDF files in English to email@example.com.
Proposals should include:
- A short nomination letter by the local host (max. 1 page)
And the application documents provided by the nominee and submitted by the local host (single PDF files):
- A short motivation letter by the nominated candidate (max. 1 page)
- A 300 word abstract on the joint research project
- Short summary of the candidate’s current research project and outlook on the joint research project (together max 3 pages incl. references)
- A detailed work and time plan for the on-campus research project (max.2 pages)
- The candidate’s curriculum vitae
- Relevant certificates (doctoral certificate OR letter from their supervisor on the status of the thesis)
Questions can be directed to Daniela Kromrey via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone:
((0)7531 88–5686). We look forward to receiving your nomination proposals including all required documents until 15 March 2023 (15:00 CET).
We look forward to receiving your nomination proposals including all required documents until 15 March 2023 (15:00 CET). The ILB will be able to make up to 30 nomination from these proposals of which four candidates will be selected by the Executive Committee (EC) of the Zukunftskolleg at the beginning of May.