Bridge Fellowships aim
(1) to support new research initiatives at the university which are in the process of formation (e.g. collaborative research centers, research groups);
(2) to enhance and advance areas of research at the university which are already strong by supporting postdoctoral researchers with distinctive and complementary expertise who can fill niches in ongoing projects;
(3) to support threatened foreign researchers by giving them the opportunity to be integrated into the German academic system.
Applicants are expected to comply with at least one of the above mentioned aims.
Bridge Fellowships are available for a maximum of eight or nine months. The Zukunftskolleg provides Bridge Fellows a professional infrastructure and an appropriate workplace for conducting research. The fellows have the opportunity to benefit from a variety of career development measures, including the University of Konstanz’s Academic Staff Development and Research Support offices. Each fellow is a member of both a university department and the Zukunftskolleg as an Associated Fellow.
Fellows have a work contract with the University of Konstanz. They participate actively in the regular weekly meetings (Jour Fixe) of the Zukunftskolleg and have an opportunity to teach.
In order to be eligible, candidates must fulfill all of the eligibility criteria:
- applicants must have
a doctoral degree (PhD thesis submitted and defended) at the moment of the decision
- applicants must
propose a research project that ties in with a discipline represented at the
University of Konstanz
Currently no call for applications - calls for applications are opened on a regular basis. Application in between calls is not accepted. If you would like to be notified about new calls for applications, please sign up for our newsletter.
The following documents are required for the application:
- motivation letter (1 page max)
- project outline (5 pages max)
- curriculum vitae
- publication list
- writing sample (30 pages max)
- a letter of support from a Professor at the University of Konstanz, who is specialist in the field of study relevant for the applicant’s project and will act as a Local Host during the fellowship. The letter should present the long-term prospects of the project beyond the Bridge Fellowship.
Please find all information concerning the application here.
Fellows are selected on the basis of their academic excellence, the quality and topicality of their research project outline, personal aptitude with regard to leadership and team skills, and interdisciplinary interest.
The applications will be discussed and evaluated by the Executive Committee of the Zukunftskolleg and the Committee on Research (Ausschuss für Forschungsfragen – AFF).