Mobility within the EU: Studying in Germany with an EU mobility certificate

ERASMUS student exchange and double degree programmes for students with Non-EU nationality

EU mobility scheme

EU guidelines for student mobility within EU countries allow non-EU students who hold a residence permit for studies in the country of their home university to arrange for their residency status in Germany before departure with the International Office of the host university, i.e. us. The requirement for this procedure is that your permit will be valid for the entire study abroad stay in Konstanz. Getting the mobility certificate through the International Office will take about 2 months. It will avoid you to correspond with the German Embassy or the Konstanz immigration authorities. 

Alternatively, you can apply for a long-term visa with the German consulate or embassy in the country of your residence. This process will also take about 2 months. You can start it once you have your admission letter.


Once you hold the renewed residence permit for studies of the EU country of your home university, the procedure for a mobility certificate is as follows:

  1. You submit your application and your documents (see below)
  2. We will forward them to the German National Agency for Migration and Refugees "Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge" (BAMF)
  3. They check your application
  4. In case of approval, after latest 1 month, you will be notified on your mobility permit by the "Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge" (BAMF)
  5. Travel to Germany with your German mobility certificate. Please always use the mobility certificate along with your study permit of the country of your home university plus your passport. It allows you to stay in Germany for study purposes as long as you are an enrolled student in Konstanz , max. up to 360 days. You can use it instead of a residence permit or a visa for study purposes.

Application documents

For starting off this procedure, please provide the following documents in Mobility Online:

  • German health insurance : You can take out a German health insurance or provide a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) whose validity will cover the entire length of your stay in Germany.
  • financial proof : (ERASMUS) scholarship and/or other funds. Please submit your (ERASMUS) scholarship confirmation if your stipend is paid on a monthly basis. If it is paid as a lump sum, it cannot be accepted. Then choose another funding option.