The Committee on Research (AFF) supports the development of the university’s research profile. It reviews internal proposals for performance-based start-up and co-financing of research projects and submits funding recommendations to the Rectorate. It is chaired by the Vice-rector for Research and Academic Staff Development.
The AFF allocates funds solely based on performance. All funds allocated for the basic funding of professorships or the promotion of junior researchers from the university budget and the German Excellence Initiative are distributed by the AFF through a competitive review and assessment process. The only selection criterion is the scientific and academic performance of the applicants. Only professors and outstanding post-doctoral researchers from the University of Konstanz can apply for these funds.
AFF funding programmes
AFF main call
Professors and outstanding postdoctoral researchers at the University of Konstanz can apply for project-based funding to cover costs for student assistants and material resources as well as dissertation completion funding. Applications may be submitted to
– the annual main call, deadline 15 October or to
– the supplementary call for new university members, deadline 15 June.
You cannot apply for funding from AFF and from YSF at the same time.
Currently, there are no open calls. The next supplementary call will be advertised in spring 2019. For your information, here are the application documents from the last, closed call:
Dissertation completion funding
Supervisors can apply for dissertation completion grants (50% TV-L E 13 staff position for up to three months) to support their doctoral researchers in the final stage of their thesis work. Proposals usually form part of the AFF annual or supplementary call, but can also stand alone.
In the informal proposal, please justify the need for funding and provide a detailed work plan for the funding period.
Outside the call deadlines, please send your proposal as a single PDF file electronically to the AFF email address.
Infrastructure programme + Research initiatives 2019
In the context of the infrastructure programme and the start-up funding for research initiatives, the following funding measures can be supported in 2019:
- Equipment and infrastructure including data sets as well as funding for workshops and conferences in Konstanz starting with 10,000 Euro in Faculty I and 5,000 Euro in Faculties II and III. The maximum amount per funding measure cannot exceed 150,000 Euro (incl. tax). The funds are available until 31.10.2019.
- Person months (from 1.02.2019 to 31.10.2019) for the start-up funding of new research projects.
Informal proposal can be handed in via the departments to the Division of Financial Affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org) until Thursday, 31 January 2019 (midnight).
Prize of the Dr K. H. Eberle Foundation at the University of Konstanz
The Dr K. H. Eberle Foundation awards an annual prize to support research at the University of Konstanz. In keeping with the donor's wishes, the prize money is awarded in a highly performance-based competition. The aim is to actuate cutting-edge, innovative and bold research projects, thereby enhancing the research profile and the continued development of the University of Konstanz.
Applications were due 7 January 2018. The next call shall be advertised by the end of the year.
Young Scholar Fund (YSF) Bridge Fellowship extended until 31 October 2019
The Young Scholar Fund Bridge Fellowship aims to support excellent postdoctoral researchers who have recently submitted a proposal to fund their own position as principal investigator at the University of Konstanz with an external funding agency. In order to bridge the time until the proposal has been approved, you may apply for up to 6 months of intermediary funding for your own position (100% TVL 13).
This is an open call. Proposals can be submitted at any time, but funds will only be available until October 2019. Fellowship applications reaching beyond that date cannot be supported.
Proposals must be submitted digitally as one single PDF-file to the Committee on Research (email@example.com) and must include the following information:
- Brief statement on the relevance of funding for your career including a work programme for the requested funding period (max. 2 pages).
- CV with information concerning your previous employment and end date of your current work contract.
- Statement from the department concerning the urgency of funding and commitment to provide the necessary work space and resources should the proposal be granted. Please use this form: Attachment: Statement from the department (in German).
- Copy of the external proposal and receipt of the funding agency (the submission date shall be within the last three months and the funding decision has to be still open when you are applying for the Bridge fellowship).
The AFF will evaluate your proposal within 4-8 weeks.
Young Scholar Fund (YSF): Open call up to 10,000 Euro extended until 31 October 2019
The university launched the Young Scholar Fund (YSF) to support its outstanding postdoctoral researchers. Grants are provided through the German Excellence Initiative. The Committee on Research (AFF) evaluates the proposals.
In 2019, proposals of up to 10,000 Euro can be submitted as long as the applicant makes sure that all project related funds are spent by 31 October 2019. Proposals are reviewed by the AFF and in approximately four to eight weeks, you will receive notification of the committee's final decision. Therefore, please submit your proposal well in advance of the planned starting date of your research activity.
Proposals shall be short and concise and have to include the following information:
- Project description with time schedule, budget justification, and a brief affirmation that all funds will be spent by 31 October 2019 (1-5 pages)
- List of publications
- If the applicant has been supported by the YSF before, a short statement on the results of previous funding (e.g. submitted / successful proposals for external funding) is mandatory.
Proposals must be submitted digitally as one single PDF-file to the Committee on Research (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For further information, please check the YSF guidlines 2019.