For whom is this just the right opportunity?
As a “non-degree-seeking student”, you may audit most of our courses as a student auditor without having to enrol in a degree programme. Several options are available for admitting you as a student auditor. You are welcome to take part if...
- you are retired and interested in taking university courses.
- you want to take advantage of an opportunity that is not offered at your own university.
- you want to engage in intellectual exchange with other people.
- you are not interested in completing examinations or earning a degree.
- you want to study without a general higher education entrance qualification or want to further educate yourself.
Further advantages and services
As a non-degree seeking student with permission to audit classes, you can also
- apply for guest access to emails in order to use, for example, the ILIAS learning platform and the WiFi on campus.
- apply for a free user card for the university library in order to access all of its media.
There are no additional fees besides the student auditor registration fee.
How do I become a student auditor?
Please consider the following prerequisites:
- You must apply for permission to audit courses. Please submit the application before the start of the lecture period of the respective semester.
- For study programmes with admission restrictions and for language courses, please obtain authorisation from the responsible person [pdf] in the respective department or the Language Institute (SLI) by having them sign your application.
- Please also make sure to transfer the student auditor registration fee of 50 euros per semester per person to the Universitätskasse (university cashier's office). You will need to pay your student auditor registration fee as soon as the university receives your application.
|Authorisation required||Authorisation is not required|
|Politics and public administration||Philosophy|
|Language Institute (SLI) courses (without German)|
* You will only need to obtain permission from the respective lecturer to attend the lectures (e.g. via email).
What legal requirements are there?
- You cannot take any examinations nor will you be able to count any coursework towards a degree.
- You do not have access to student discounts, e.g. the semester ticket.
- You are not a member of the University of Konstanz.
The legal provisions covering the guest auditing of courses and the associated restrictions are § 64 para. 1 Landeshochschulgesetz (state law on higher education) in connection with § 19 Zulassungs- und Immatrikulationsordnung der Universität Konstanz (admission and enrolment regulations of the University of Konstanz) as well as § 1 Verwaltungsgebührensatzung der Universität Konstanz (admission and enrolment regulations of the University of Konstanz) in their most current editions.
Who processes your application?
Your application will be processed and prerequisites checked by the Student-Service-Centre (SSZ) on level B4. The SSZ will issue your guest auditor authorisation either in person or by (postal) mail. If you are interested in continuing to audit classes in the next semester, you must submit a follow-up application.