Graduate studies; requires an undergraduate university degree.
The University of Konstanz also offers the Bachelor's programme Biologial Sciences.
Biology is the science of living systems. It examines the development, functioning and behaviour as well as the relationship between the individual organism and its environment. Modern
biology selects from the diversity of organisms single objects that
appear particularly suitable for certain issues in order to use them to
study the basic phenomena of life, to analyse and interpret occurrences
and processes that are common for all organisms and characteristic of
them (Adolf Butenandt, Nobel Prize winner).
In addition to the current form of this Master’s programme, in the future, students will be able to select a certain profile (specialisation programme). The specialisation programme aims to give students the opportunity to attain further qualifications with scientific sound advanced knowledge in a specific area (focus). Planned focus areas are 1. “Ecology Evolution” 2. “Cellular Molecular Biology” and 3. “Disease Biology”. The number of places is in focus areas is limited.
|Degree||Master of Science|
|Programme start||Winter semester & Summer semester|
|Period of study||4 semesters|
|Application deadline||17.5. – 15.6. | 15.1.|
|Number of places:||60|
Prospects and opportunities
Fields of work that are suited for graduates include:
- biotechnology, chemical and pharmaceutical companies, including the research, development departments, product control, in literature or in public service work
- Federal, state and other research institutions with responsibilities including in research, planning and control and monitoring of pollutants.
Internship and abroad
Why study Biological Sciences at Konstanz?
What interests and skills should I have?
Teaching language and language(s) of instruction
Teaching language is English.
- Above-average degree in Biological Sciences (or a similar programme) from an institution of higher education or Berufsakademie (minimum degree: Bachelor of Science)
- Basic English language skills, e.g. TOEFL (minimum of 90 points in internet-test), CPE (grade C), IELTS (band scale 6.0 or better), alternatively: evidence of three courses in English in a subject related programme of study of a previous studies or five year continuous English classes in a German speaking school (secondary school) (minimum 7 point or grade satis- factory); (except native speakers)
A detailed description of the admission requirements is found in the Admission Regulations of the University of Konstanz for this programme of study.
Please attach the following documents to your application:
- application for admission, please attach a photograph
of your career, study goals and desired course profile
- documentation of your academic degree including details on course work and performance (ECTS-Credits and course hours per week , if applicable). If you have not received your degree certificate by the end of the application deadline, please attach a Transcript of Records
- documentation of your preliminary final grade
- basic English language skills, e.g. TOEFL (minimum of 90 points in internet-test), CPE (grade C), IELTS (band scale 6.0 or better) (except native speakers)
- documentation of work experience (if applicable)
- documentation of academic achievements (papers, publications, research activities, study and research stays abroad, if applicable)
- documentation of relevant employment or training periods (if applicable)
- evidence of prizes and awards (if applicable)
- documentation of relevant volunteer work /extra-curricular activities (if applicable)
- documentation of the average grade of your completed bachelor's programme
- to apply for a focus area of study, please attach an informal application, stating the focus area according to § 7 para. 2 of the admission regulations. Please add a short letter of motivation.
- current certificate of enrolment or proof of exmatriculation
- formless application for recognition as a case of hardship (if applicable), please attach documentation
You can find an overview of all required application documents in your application for admission. You will get this application at the end of the online application process.