Postgraduate study programme which requires a first university degree. For this, the University of Konstanz offers the Bachelor's Programme in Economics (in-depth study area Business and Economics Education).
The master's programme focuses on vocational, economics and business education as well as educational science. The master's programme follows a bachelor's programme with a focus on business and economics education. You can choose either a business studies concentration (study profile I) or a concentration in a general required elective (study profile II). In study profile I, you attend business and economics courses, as well as select management and administration courses. In study profile II, you can choose as required elective one of the following subjects: political science, history, German, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, computer science, mathematics, physics, chemistry or sport. If you study teacher education (Lehramt), the required elective is your second major. If you have completed another bachelor's programme in economics, you can catch up on missing coursework (e.g. didactics) during your studies.
|Degree||Master of Science|
|Programme start||Winter semester|
|Period of study||4 semesters|
|Application period||25.3. - 30.4.|
|Number of places:||72|
Why study Economics and Business Education at Konstanz?
- Individual areas of concentration
- Career changers may also be admitted to the master's programme (post-qualification)
- Option to take the ‘Ausbildereignungsprüfung AEVO’ (test on the aptitude of instructors)
- Research-oriented teaching
- Seminars for small groups, intense supervision
- Open-door policy: flexible office hours and individual supervision
Prospects and opportunities
As a graduate you will be well equipped with a dual qualification that opens the way both to teaching in secondary education and to working in the business sector. After graduating your opportunities will include:
- Teaching at business schools (starting as a trainee teacher)
- Working in education and further education (further education management, career planning, requirement analysis, implementation of further education courses, talent management, personnel selection)
- Working in a variety of other areas in businesses
You will find further career perspectives on the website of the master's programme. Here, alumni of the M.Sc. Economics and Business Education report on their personal career entry.
Internship and study abroad
- During the master's programme: teaching internship (twice 3 weeks)
- Before the teacher traineeship (Referendariat): commercial internship (42 weeks) (are not required for the Master's degree, only for entry into the teacher traineeship)
Studying abroad for at least one semester at one of our more than 90 European and non-European partner universities is highly recommended. The university promotes study abroad via Erasmus+ and numerous other exchange programmes.
What interests and skills should I have?
- You enjoy designing teaching and learning processes
- You enjoy working with people
- You are interested in economic processes and relationships
- You have a structured way of thinking
Foreign language skills
You do not have to proof any foreign language skills for the master's programme.
German language skills
International applicants need documentation of their German language skills, level DSH-2 or TestDaF 4. Alternatively, other language tests or school certificates recognized as equivalent can be used as proof of the required German language skills.
Language(s) of instruction
The language mainly used in class is German.
- At least one above-average degree in a three-year (minimum) bachelor's programme in economics or economics education at an institution of higher education or recognised Berufsakademie or equivalent institution (abroad).
- Minimum of 17 ECTS credit points in the study areas educational science or economics education (incl. minimum of 3 ECTS credits for practical teaching)*;
- Minimum of 16 ECTS credit points in a required elective* (does not apply in case you select economics), please state your required elective in the application;
- Internship of at least 4 weeks in a school*.
*Can be made up during the postgraduate qualification during the Master's programme in Business Education at the University of Konstanz.
- International applicants need documentation of their German language skills, level DSH-2 or TestDaF 4, or a language test recognised as equivalent.
All students enrolled at the University of Konstanz are charged a semester fee each semester, similar to all other German universities. Here you can find the current semester fee and its individual components.
Tuition fees for first degree studies for some international students
Beginning in the winter semester 2017/18, the state of Baden-Württemberg will require some international students to pay university tuition fees for their first degree studies. The following will generally not be required to pay tuition fees: citizens of a country within the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), doctoral students and certain 'Bildungsinländer' (international students with German Abitur). You can find more detailed information here.
Tuition fees for second degree studies for all students
All students will be required to pay tuition fees for their second degree studies starting in the winter semester 2017/18, too. You can find more detailed information here. Once a year, the University of Konstanz grants exemptions to a limited number of particularly gifted international degree-seeking students in accordance with the Begabtenbefreiuungssatzung (statutes governing the exemption of gifted students). You can find more detailed information here.
Application and application documents
This study programme has admission restrictions.
An application is possible during the following period: 25.3. - 30.4. (winter semester). There may be other deadlines if you are applying for admission to a higher semester (for instance, if you are changing subjects or universities). For more information please consult the university website.
Please attach the following documents to your application:
- Application for admission;
- Documentation of your academic degree including details on course work. If you have not received your degree certificate by the end of the application deadline, please provide your average overall grade so far (issued by your institution of higher education) to prove you will probably meet the entry requirements. If your institution of higher education does not issue a confirmation of your average overall grade so far, please provide documentation of all your academic performance assessments relevant for your final grade
- Documentation of a minimum of 17 ECTS credit points in the study areas educational science or business and economics education*
- Documentation of a minimum of 16 ECTS credit points in a required elective* (does not apply in case you select economics)*
- Documentation of your school internship of at least four weeks*
- Curriculum vitae
- Documentation of your previous professional experience and other achievements and qualifications outside of your university studies that show your aptitude for the study programme (if you have any)
- Letter of motivation in German (1 page) showing your aptitude and motivation for participating in the programme
- If applicable, current certificate of enrolment or proof of exmatriculation - (if you have studied at a German university, please indicate your 'Fachsemester’ and ‘Hochschulsemester’)
Important note: Please note the information provided under the tab "Admission requirements".
- Documentation of German language skills, level DSH-2 or TestDaF 4, or a language test recognised as equivalent
- Applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia: APS certificate (original) issued by the German Embassy of your home country;
* you can catch up on missing course work and internships in the context of a post-qualification in your first year of study. This post-qualification is based on the curriculum of the Bachelor's Programme in Economics at the University of Konstanz. In this case you will be admitted and registered with reservation.