Since most courses are taught in German, all applicants who did not earn their higher education entrance qualification at a German or German-language school need to provide documentation of sufficient German language skills.
Preparatory German language courses or approved German language exams are not offered at the University of Konstanz. For this reason, you must submit accredited proof of your German language ability along with your application.
German language examination for university entrance (DSH)
The DSH certificate usually serves as proof of German language ability. The DSH exam is available for different proficiency levels. The individual study programmes at the university have different language requirements. Please consult the German language ability table in order to identify the DSH level requirements for your selected study programme.
Approved language exams
- TestDaF: The TestDaf exam also is available for different proficiency levels. Please consult the German language ability table in order to identify the proficiency level required for your selected study programme. This exam is available at the following locations in and around Konstanz: 1. Humboldt-Institut e.V. Konstanz, 2. Dialoge Sprachinstitut Lindau and 3. Carl Duisberg Centrum Radolfzell.
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (German language exam for university entrance), Level 2 (DSH2)
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom (German language diploma) (Level II) of the “Kultusministerkonferenz” (Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany) (DSD II)
- Goethe-Zertifikat C1 or higher level
- Feststellungsprüfungszeugnis (assessment certificate) from a preparatory course offered at a "Studienkolleg" (exam section “German”)
- TELC Deutsch C1 Hochschule, (TELC C1 language certificate) can be earned at Sprachendienst Konstanz.
Approved school examination certificates documenting German language ability
- German language certificate awarded via the French Diplôme du Baccalauréat for completing a bilingual (German-French) secondary school programme
- The European Baccalaureate at the European Schools insofar, as an examiniation in German has been successfully passed as a first language (L1) or second language (L2)
- US Advanced Placement Examination for the German language
- Certificate earned by completing the upper level of secondary education in the German-speaking community of the Kingdom of Belgium
- Secondary school certificate from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
- Certificates issued by secondary schools with German as the language of instruction in the autonomous province of Bolzano, South Tyrol (Italy)
- Certificate of the international section taught in German at the Liceo Gimnasiale Luigi Galvani in Bologna (Italy)
- Certificate (Bilingual Leaving Certificate) from the German-Irish bilingual secondary school "Deutsche Schule Dublin, St. Kilian’s" (Ireland)