For international students starting their studies in the winter semester at one of the IBH universities (a network of universities in the Lake Constance area) as well as students from one of the University of Konstanz’s partner universities, a German intensive course is always offered in August. Participants receive instruction at their own language ability level - whether beginner, intermediate or advanced. In addition to the language courses, supplementary activities are offered in the afternoons and sometimes on the weekends. These include presentations on history, culture and politics as well as (city) tours and excursions throughout the Lake Constance region. The Bodensee Summer School is organised by the International Bodensee Hochschule (IBH) in cooperation with the International Office of the University of Konstanz and Language Institute (SLI).
IBH Summer School
In addition to the language courses, regional and cultural activities are offered in the afternoons and sometimes on the weekends. These include presentations on history, culture and politics as well as (city) tours, excursions throughout the Lake Constance region and visits to participating IBH universities. The Bodensee Summer School 2020 is organised by the University of Konstanz’s International Office in cooperation with the Language Institute (SLI).
- German language classes
- Lectures about politics and history
- Excursions & Cultural trips
- Sports activities
Cost for the German intensive course and supplementary activities: EUR 400,-
- The fee includes: 74 language classes, a language proficiency test, class materials, 4 lectures and supplementary regional and cultural activities).
- Please note: If you are not or will not be enrolled at an IBH university, the summer school costs EUR 480,-.
Accommodation and meals:
- When you register for the course, you can also book a single room from Seezeit student services for EUR 400, -.
- Meals are not included in this price. You can purchase meals at the cheaper student rates in the cafeteria (Mensa).
The Language Course
Your teachers have completed philological training and are experienced teachers. The course is being held in groups consisting of up to 15 students covering 8-10 different levels from A1 (Basic) to C1 (Advanced).
Course content: listening comprehension, speaking skills, writing and reading (original) texts, all combined with grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation exercises.
The beginner courses (often) use a text book. The intermediate and advanced courses have an increased focus on regional and cultural topics as well as on skills required of students (i.e. taking notes, giving a presentation).
Academic credit: Certificate of Attendance (either graded or ungraded) with 6 ECTS credits
Requirements: regular, active class participation (and contribution to discussions), presentations, homework (about 1 hour per day); a final test is required if you would like graded credit for the class.
More information about the IBH Summer School 2019 is available from your IBH host institution or via email.
Registration and Payment
The online applications are open between 1. February and 31. May 2020.
In order to prepare our language classes, please complete the Goethe Institute’s online placement test and enter your result in the registration form.
The number of participants for the course is limited. We therefore recommend that you register as soon as possible. Please use the registration form.
- Account holder: Universitaet Konstanz
- Address: Universitaetsstrasse 10,
78457 Konstanz, GERMANY
- Bank name: BW-Bank Konstanz
- Bank address: Bodanplatz 6-8, 78462 Konstanz, GERMANY
- IBAN: DE92 600 501 01 748 650 1274
- BIC/SWIFT: SOLADEST
- Reference: IBH Summer School 2020, Nachname, Vorname
Deadline for payment is 15 June 2020. Please note also: The bank transfer fees has to be added on the amount required for payment of the course and accommodation fees. Credit card payments are subject to extra charge of 4% of the payable amount.
Cancellation and refund of the course and accommodation fees: The refund is possible if the cancellation is made no later than four weeks (1. July) prior the start of the Summer School. For the later cancellations there will be no refund for the accommodation fees.
Cancelation and refund of the optional Module courses: Once you have chosen the module and made the payment, you have time until 1st of July to withdraw from the module. In that case the module fee will be refunded.
Credit Card payments:
If you are not enrolled or will not be enrolled in a IBH university, and you need a visa in order to enter Schengen area and stay during the Summer School, please make sure to obtain one prior to the arrival to the Summer School. If you are not sure about your visa, please contact the German embassy in your country or the German consulate in your region. If you require a letter of invitation, please write us an email.
Internationale Bodensee-Hochschule (IBH)
The Internationale Bodensee-Hochschule (IBH) is a network of 30 universities in Germany, Lichtenstein, Switzerland and Austria.
The institutions within the IBH’s international network collaborate to create new study programmes, support research and development in cooperation with regional businesses and improve the educational opportunities available in the entire region over the long-term.
Everyone benefits from having the IBH:
- The people in the region- benefits from having access to additional educational opportunities. The international cooperation among IBH members also increases graduates’ chances of successfully finding their first job. Students can make contacts in the surrounding countries during their study and training. Both the desire to gain international experience as well as the desire to keep close contact with an existing social network can be satisfied almost entirely.
- Local business entrepreneurs- they benefit from the university network. Highly skilled professionals are more likely to stay in the region after graduating instead of leaving. At the same time, specialised study programmes can react quickly and with great flexibility to changing educational needs.
- The universities - collaboration allows the member institutions to share each other’s existing infrastructure like labs or high-tech devices. Student and lecturer exchanges promote positive synergies and intercultural understanding.
Two of the many IBH network projects include the collaboration between the IBH International Offices as well as the Bodensee Summer School programme that takes place at the University of Konstanz.
Universities in the IBH network
- Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Ravensburg
- Albstadt-Sigmaringen University
- Hochschule Furtwangen University
- Hochschule Kempten University of Applied Sciences
- Hochschule Konstanz University of Applied Sciences (HTWG)
- Hochschule Ravensburg-Weingarten - Technik, Wirtschaft, Sozialwesen
- University of Education Weingarten
- Staatliche Hochschule für Musik Trossingen
- University of Konstanz
- Zeppelin University
- University of Liechtenstein
- International Academy of Philosophy
- FH Vorarlberg University of Applied Sciences
- Pädagogische Hochschule Vorarlberg
- Schloss Hofen
- Vorarlberger Landeskonservatorium
- FHS St. Gallen University of Applied Sciences
- HfH University of Applied Sciences of Special Needs Education
- HSR Hochschule für Technik Rapperswil
- HWZ University of Applied Sciences Zurich
- NTB Interstaatliche Hochschule für Technik Buchs
- Pädagogische Hochschule des Kantons St. Gallen
- Pädagogische Hochschule Schaffhausen
- Pädagogische Hochschule Thurgau
- Zurich University of Teacher Education
- Schweizer Hochschule für Logopädie Rorschach
- University of St. Gallen
- University of Zurich
- ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences
- Zurich University of the Arts (ZHdK)
Programme Overview (Subject to changes!)
- Pick-up at Konstanz train station
- Moving in to the residence hall
- Registration, interviews and placement test
- University tour & lunch
- Konstanz City Tour (afternoon)
- German course (74 teaching hours)
*Since two full-day excursions are planned, the class will take also place during two afternoons
- Excursion to Meersburg: visiting the castle and old town
- IBH Water Sports Day
- Try out different sports offered by University Sports Centre
- Liechtenstein day: all-day excursion to the local festivities and the National Day celebration in Vaduz, Lichtenstein
- Optional tours: Feldkirch (Austria) & Hiking tour (Liechtenstein)
- Excursion to Neuschwanstein Castle
- Hiking tour around the Alpsee lake
- Stadtrally - Beweisen Sie Ihr Deutsch
- Beach Volleyball Tournament
- BBQ Farewell
- End of the classes
- Handout of the certificates
- Check-out from the domitories
- Departure of the participants