Research stays

Are you an international bachelor or master’s student who is interested in completing a research internship at the University of Konstanz?

The Welcome Centre assists international research interns on organizational issues concerning a research stay at the University of Konstanz.

As soon as a researcher of the University of Konstanz has confirmed your internship position, you are welcome to get in touch with the Welcome Centre for starting the planning of your stay.

Step 1: Find an internship position.

Browse the university website to find a research field that could interest you. Send a professor or academic staff member in this research area your cover letter, CV (résumé) and academic transcript.

Step 2: Reach a specific agreement.

If you have been offered a research internship, contact your supervisor to reach an agreement that includes the following (template agreement):

  • contact person/supervisor
  • time period and task
  • accommodation and (where relevant) payment or funding

Please only decide on your exact period of stay after you have found a potential accommodation. It is especially difficult to find affordable housing in Konstanz from June through August.

Step 3: Clarify your funding.

Clarify funding options in your home country. Research interns usually arrange their own funding. Programmes that fund internships / short-term stays using different selection criteria include, for example

  • ERASMUS Placement (EU+ Türkei)
  • DAAD- RISE (UK, USA, Canada), DAAD-WISE (India), DAAD-IAESTE (exchange organised by the student)
  • university partnerships (i.e. Ontario-Baden-Württemberg student exchange)

Step 4: Prepare for your stay.

Find out beforehand, whether

  • your department can help you find housing.
  • your health insurance coverage is also valid in Germany.
  • you will need an entry visa/work permit (if you are a citizen of a non-EU country)
  • and whom you can contact to assist with any remaining questions.

Step 5: Arrive and settle in.

You can pick up your guest library card and guest email account at the International Office or your department. You can also

You may only enrol as a student if you have received a letter of admission before you arrive. However, this is not usually the case for research interns.

Contact us at the International Office with all your questions about a research stay in Konstanz. Speak with your supervisor about questions specifically related to your internship.

Minimum wage

New: Federal International Placement Services (ZAV) has set the binding minimum wage for Erasmus+ interns from abroad (see minimum wage law). International Erasmus+ interns are exempted from this minimum wage limit when the Internship Agreement specifically classifies their stay as a “part of the curriculum” or a “compulsory internship”,even if they are staying for longer than three months.
For Erasmus+ and students (KA103): If the stay is not a “compulsory internship”, then minimum wage will need to be paid starting the first day of the fourth internship month.
For graduate / postgraduate internships: minimum wage regulations apply from the start.