Courses for prospective students

Did you complete schooling in your home country that qualifies you to study at a university there? Did you study in your home country? Would you like to study in Germany and have earned your German B1 certificate?

For most study programmes taught in German you will need to demonstrate language skills equivalent to level C1. We offer a German language course for refugees to help you prepare for your TestDaF examination. Besides this German course, you will also have to complete the following preparatory courses before beginning your studies: English, mathematics (for programmes in the natural sciences), academic language, knowledge of the German higher education system.

The next preparatory course starts in May 2018.

These courses are financed by the Integra programme of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). They are very intense at 24 weekly teaching hours and require you to complete additional coursework at home or in the library.

How do I register for the courses?

If you want to take part in one of these courses, please email Ms Beeken at and include the following information:

  • I would like to take part in a preparatory course starting on ... (DATE).
  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your current language level
  • What would you like to study?

If possible, please send the following information by email attachment or by post:

  1. Copy of your national ID card or passport
  2. Copy of your B1 language certificate (or a higher German language certificate, if you have one)
  3. Copies of your school and university certificates in German or English translation and documentation of recognition, if you have it. If you would like to have a certificate officially recognised, we can help you with requesting recognition.

Course fees

Course attendance is free. The cost is covered through the Integra programme. In return, we expect you to attend all classes, unless you have important reasons not to. You must inform us about your reasons for not attending class (e.g. illness). You owe this to those who would like to attend courses but have not been given a place in the programme.

You will have to cover the cost for books, travel expenses and examination fees yourself. We may be able to reimburse all or half of your travel expenses, though. If you attend a minimum of 85 % of classes, we will cover the examination fees for you.

Recognition of your certificate(s)

There are various authorities in Germany that can recognise your certificate(s). You should contact the correct authority for your specific certificate(s). We recommend that you obtain advice on which authority is responsible for your certificate(s).

If you would like to apply for a bachelor’s programme, UniAssist is usually the correct authority.

Some universities review the certificates of prospective bachelor’s students themselves.

If you would like to apply for a master's programme, please apply directly to the university. The corresponding department will review your certificates. Prior to applying, please attend a consultation session in your department and with Ms Beeken:

If you would like to study at a university of applied sciences, you can request recognition of your certificate(s) from the Studienkolleg Konstanz. You can find the request form in the left-hand column.

If you are unsure about what is the right path for you, do not hesitate to contact us. Please email Ms Beeken at to make an appointment.

If you need your certificates to apply for a job or professional training, you will need to talk to a different authority. Contact the following organisations for help identifying the correct authority for your certificates: